Saturday, December 10, 2011

Hawaiian BBQ Pizza on Whole Wheat Thin Crust

Yay! My first recipe!! I'm so excited to share this!

I have certain rules for dinner. I try to cook about 4 times a week, leaving a couple of nights for leftovers and eating out or ordering pizza once. On the nights I cook my rules are simple:

#1 I don't want to waste my entire day/night in the kitchen. If it takes more than an hour, it's not going to happen. And 30 minutes is really what I like to spend in the kitchen.

#2 I don't want to have to buy fancy gadgets. I have minimal kitchen space and I don't like wasting money on a lot of tools. There are a few things I have splurged on (like my immersible blender for soups!) but I'm not going to go out and buy something if I don't already have it.

#3 I'm only cooking ONE meal. I am not a personal chef. I'm going to make one meal for my entire family. If they try it and they don't like it, fine. But I'm not making anything else. If you hate it that much, you are welcome to make yourself some serious or a sandwich.

#4 Yes, I need something healthy, but I'm not eating cardboard or rabbit food. It's gotta taste good!

Easy enough, right?

I've been wanting to come up with a yummy Hawaiian BBQ Pizza for a while and tonight I finally got around to it. And I have to say it turned out really good! I'll definitely make it again.

And just so you know, I'm not a photographer. I don't own a fancy camera. I'm not going to wait for the right lighting to take my pictures. Maybe one day I'll have a better camera, but I'm never going to be a professional photographer. So no complaining about my crappy photos!! :)

Hawaiian BBQ Pizza on Whole Wheat Thin Crust

(That's one slice. Just so you know, I ate two for dinner. And yes, I eat my pizza with a fork. I'm weird.)
Ingredients:

DOUGH
2 tsp active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
2 tsp honey
1 1/3 cup wheat flour
2 tbsp and 2 tsp wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt

TOPPINGS
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 cups shredded cheese (I used 1/2 mozzarella, 1/2 cheddar)
1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup pineapple chunks or tidbits

Start with the dough. I'm not a baker. I like easy recipes. I don't mess with proofing the yeast correctly or really even letting dough rise much. I like EASY recipes.

Combine the honey, warm water (just slightly warmer than room temperature, not hot), and yeast. Stir to dissolve and set aside for about 5 minutes.

Combine flour, wheat germ, and salt. Make a little well. Dump in the yeast mixture. Combine with a spoon.

Spray some non-stick cooking spray on your hands and use them to mix the dough until most of the flour is incorporated and you form a ball with the dough.

Cover with a towel and allow to rise 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

The dough really won't rise noticeably. No worries! Roll it out THIN. I don't even bother using a floured surface, but you can if you're worried about the dough sticking to your counter.

Place your rolled out dough on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Remove pizza crust and turn the oven heat up to 400 degrees.

Spread BBQ sauce with a spoon. (I don't use a lot of sauce. I like a slightly drier pizza.) Top with cheese. Add onions and pineapple. (I LOVE red onion. This is a LOT of red onion. And I chop it into larger chunks. If you're not a big onion fan, use less or leave it off entirely.)

Bake again for about 15 minutes or until edges are light brown and cheese is melted.

Makes 8 slices.

Nutritional Facts per Slice:
251 calories, 10g fat, 655mg sodium, 31.5g carbs, 4.3g fiber, 9.5g sugar, 11g protein

Not perfectly healthy. But not bad, especially for pizza! And super delicious. Hope you enjoy! If you try it, let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment